As a Holistic Health and Soul Happiness Coach my main objective is to have my clients lit up from within everyday. But if there’s one day they want to glow with that extra something that even the most glam dress and heaven sent make-up artist cannot deliver, it’s of course their wedding day.
Here are 5 beauty rituals that will have you shining from within and your other half one of many who are left breathless at the sight of you. Even if you’re not about to take the plunge think of these as ninja health hacks that will commit you to a new chapter of getting your glow-on.
1) Hack Your Sleep
Hands up if you think pulling all nighters, staying at work until 11pm or a “I’ll sleep when I’m dead” mentality should be high-fived? Yep, I’ve been guilty of this too. Thankfully I saw the light and this is now one of my biggest client tips: if there’s one thing you can do to feel and appear at your most lovely, it’s to get deep, restorative sleep EVERY single night.
- The hours before midnight are the most rejuvenating, so 10pm to 6am is going to have you feeling and looking more sparkly than midnight to 8am.
- Begin a night time ritual about an hour before bed by doing one or more of the following: run a hot bath into which you place a few drops of a relaxing essential oil, such as lavender; diffuse more relaxing oils (such as geranium or bergamot) in your bedroom; turn all household lights to low or burn candles, and listen to soothing music; drink a cup of warm relaxing herbal tea.
- If your mind is in overdrive, journal for a few minutes before bed, “downloading” some of your thoughts or concerns so you don’t need to ruminate over them when you shut your eyes.
- Block out all light from the bedroom – that means removing all devices and electronics so there are no red, green or blue lights poking out from anything. Seriously, if you travel make sure you take some black duct tape to stick over any colored lights if you cannot pull out the plugs.
- Make sure the temperature of your bedroom is cooler rather than warmer – think of it as your own little cave. Dark, cool, quiet and reserved only for reading (not work related!) and lovemaking.
- Wear earplugs – try them for a week and see how much more deeply you sleep, especially if your partner snores.
Bonus Sleep Tip
It’s no secret that yoga alleviates stress. Here’s 1 pose that relieves tension from tired or cramped legs and feet, relieves lower back pain, and abdominal bloating. It also calms the mind, making it the perfect de-stressor for better sleep. Simply lay down on your back with your buttocks a few inches away from the wall and your feet resting at a right angle up the wall. Stay there for a minimum of 3-5 minutes.
2) Hack Your Food
When you think of your body as the temple she is, housing the Goddess YOU are, you’ll be less likely to pollute her with crapola. Remember, put garbage in and you’ll get garbage out in terms of how you look and feel. This ain’t rocket science!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last few years you already know to avoid – as much as possible – sugar, dairy, gluten, soy, caffeine, alcohol, fizzy drinks and packaged food-like substances.
Here are a couple of things that might be new to you:
- Ever wondered why some people seem t have such shiny hair and white eyes? Fermented veggies, baby! Include 1 tablespoon of these probiotic and enzyme rich foods with each meal to enhance your digestion and get your glow-on! What are you waiting for? Go grab yourself a glass jar of unpasteurized sauerkraut from Whole Foods asap.
- Drink a cup (or 3) of bone broth daily to supercharge your way to sexy skin and humming hormones. Here is a fantastic recipe for bone broth with additional info on why you should make it your new love affair.
3) Hack Your Water
Hydrating yourself enough with H2O will always make a difference to how dewy your skin looks, but upping your water’s quality is even more important. Installing a simple single-tap under kitchen sink water filter can be done for less than $100 and the difference to how sipping on 2-3 liters of THIS water throughout the day can make you feel is astounding.
Like to get your sweat on? Forget about toxic sports drinks and instead add a pinch of good quality sea salt to your filtered or spring water to make it more bioavailable to your cells and to give yourself a mineral boost!
4) Hack Your Mind
Meditation is the tried and true path to inner peace. Not to mention what it does to reverse the aging process! If you haven’t yet given it a go, you can jump on board the bliss train right now with this simple process.
Close your eyes and sit in a comfortable upright position. Take several slow deep breaths in and out and begin repeating the mantra: release… release… release… release… release… over and over to yourself. Say this one word at a pace that does not allow for any other thought to get in the way. Start with a 5min practice and work your way up to 20mins.
5) Hack Your Soul
Nothing soothes my soul faster than getting out into Mother Nature. If I need to change my state quickly stepping outside will have me vibing high again in no time. If I’m not close enough for a dip in the ocean then a quick walk through the park or even moments in a garden, face turned up to feel the sun, will always do the trick.
...and if you ask me which of all these beauty hacks I’d focus on between now and happily-ever-after it would be enhancing your sleep and drinking bone broth daily.
This article originally appeared on ZLiving.com